Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Real Help from Professionals

After three evaluation appointments with a neurophsychologist, we sat down with the doctor for the results last week. We pretty much heard what I was expecting: Melanie tested to be around 2-2.5 years old cognitively. Her strength is in social skills, where she's more like 3+ years. Again, I knew all of this, but the doctor had some good thoughts and advice for how to use this information to try and give her the best education. I'm now looking for a part-time group/classroom-type setting for her during the school year. I don't want to go back to public school and IEP's, but she needs some social time with other kids around her developmental age. If you have any suggestions or know of a good place, please let me know.

Also last week, on Friday we took a half-day trip down to Chicago to have two lessons with a master ABM teacher. She's practically at the same mastery level as Anat Baniel herself (and therefore the same pay grade...). Melanie cooperated better than I had expected, and the timing of our day worked out much better than I'd expected. Marcy did a lot with Melanie in the short 40-min lessons, starting immediately once she was on the table. I saw a lot of rocking of Melanie's pelvis, working with her neck and shoulders, moving her legs...
In my opinion, I believe the most valuable thing we got from this time came from our short conversations after the lessons. I have the contact info for a world-class pediatric podiatrist, who will evaluate a video of Melanie's walking for free. I also have info for a fabulous speech therapist, from whom we may be able to get some advice via Skype. Marcy used to be a voice teacher (we're talking Metropolitan Opera), so she noticed a certain quality to Melanie's voice which needs to be addressed. I feel really good and hopeful about these gems from our conversations.

Next week, we see more professionals in St. Paul. First will be a second opinion in orthopedics, and then we see my most favorite doctor ever for a follow-up: Melanie's neurologist.

And by the way, Melanie is getting cuter by the day, and she's finally in a big girl bed!

Melanie just had to leave the house in style, with her best bud.

No comments:

Post a Comment